[asterisk-biz] SIP Fax OK?

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Tue Aug 7 12:49:03 CDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 13:38 -0400, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
> Yes, if all the SIP endpoints support ITU-T Recommendation T.38. The
> problem is there is no such thing right now in Asterisk and no plans
> by Digium to add it.

This is not quite true... just because there is no T.38 endpoint support
in Asterisk doesn't mean Digium isn't planning to add it.  I have a
pretty good feeling that if you're patient, you'll see Asterisk support
T.38 (and not just T.38 passthrough) sometime in the future.
Unfortunately, I don't know any of the details of when that will be.

> If you have a SIP provider supporting T.38 then you can have calls
> from your T.38 capable devices forwarded to that provider, but you
> must use Asterisk 1.4 and pray it works.

The T.38 passthrough support in Asterisk 1.4 has worked for me the few
times I've tried it with endpoints that support T.38.  (And it certainly
worked better for me than trying to fax over SIP/RTP using the G.711
codec and hoping that jitter didn't cause your fax to fail.)

--
Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager