[asterisk-biz] SIP to PSTN Hardware

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Mon Aug 6 15:04:56 CDT 2007

> I think it's also a dying protocol. SIP is so much easier to debug and
> do things like load balancing using SER that there's no call for H.323
> on new installations. There's plenty of legacy H.323 out there, but
> declining over time.

I respectfully disagree. H323 works very well too... and when you add all
the stuff you need to actually do telephony, you end up with things like
SIP-T which use TCP (just like H323) and looks fairly complicated as well!

Hey, let's play devil's advocate:

http://www.packetizer.com/labs/documents/BCR-Feb2007.pdf

The thing I like about SIP is the way it's easy to debug and trace. I
don't like using UDP for signalisation though... with TCP, you don't risk
loosing BYE messages and if the TCP connection is lost, you simply cut off
the call!

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.