[asterisk-biz] Carriers not allowing CallerID to be set to a 800number?

Michael Young myoung at netlogic.net
Wed Apr 18 13:42:09 MST 2007

>>Isn't there any possibility of setting the ANI and the CallerID as
  DIFFERENT values?  I find that CallerID is really more of a
convenience
  function, not a billing method.  I was under the impression that ANI
and
  CallerID could be different numbers... is that not the case?

Yes, using SIP-T. NetLogic is planning to support that in the 3rd
Quarter. There was a bug in Asterisk -- fixed around 1.2.12 -- that
choked on multipart SDP, which is a part of Level3's SIP-T provisioning.
We would be supporting SIP-T now if it weren't for the fact that
switching to it would have broken 1/2 of our customers. Now that most
have migrated past 1.2.12, we are getting ready to move to it.

Michael Young
NetLogic