[asterisk-biz] Carriers not allowing CallerID to be set to a800number?

jay kordic jay at thehorizongroup.biz
Wed Apr 18 13:41:06 MST 2007

When the Cub's win the World Series!

Jay Kordic

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Peter Beckman
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 1:28 PM
To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
Subject: RE: [asterisk-biz] Carriers not allowing CallerID to be set to
a800number?

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, David Aldworth wrote:

> I'm sorry to hear you may go but I certainly understand how this change
> affects you.
>
> We have a thread on the subject which may be helpful here:
>
> http://www.teliax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771
>
> The bottom line is that although Tier 1 or Tier 2 carriers will accept the
> toll-free callerid we pass to them, because there is no identifiable
> OCN/LATA for the ANI of the calls the applicable rate will be the *higher*
> of the destinations intrastate rate or a fixed rate. Upon querying our
> customers regarding this problem most agreed passing a valid 10 digit
local
> number as callerid was more a more attractive option than paying a higher
> rate. That said, we are working on a way to make this optional. Meaning
that
> if you want to pass a toll-free callerid and pay a higher rate, you'll
have
> that option.
>
> There are certainly many voip carriers that will allow you to pass a
> toll-free callerid, however, I would assert that most are unaware of the
> cost they are incurring. Of course, I could be wrong about that ... :)

  Isn't there any possibility of setting the ANI and the CallerID as
  DIFFERENT values?  I find that CallerID is really more of a convenience
  function, not a billing method.  I was under the impression that ANI and
  CallerID could be different numbers... is that not the case?

  The telephony billing model is so screwed up with VoIP in the mix.  No
  longer are calls initiated or terminated always to a physical line, and
  this creates havok for everyone because of the weird billing model we
  have.

  When will a Tier 1 provider step up and abstract all this for us?

Beckman