[asterisk-biz] Carriers not allowing CallerID to be set to a 800number?

David Aldworth daldworth at teliax.com
Wed Apr 18 12:55:37 MST 2007

Hi Mike -

I'm sorry to hear you may go but I certainly understand how this change
affects you.

We have a thread on the subject which may be helpful here:

http://www.teliax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771

The bottom line is that although Tier 1 or Tier 2 carriers will accept the
toll-free callerid we pass to them, because there is no identifiable
OCN/LATA for the ANI of the calls the applicable rate will be the *higher*
of the destinations intrastate rate or a fixed rate. Upon querying our
customers regarding this problem most agreed passing a valid 10 digit local
number as callerid was more a more attractive option than paying a higher
rate. That said, we are working on a way to make this optional. Meaning that
if you want to pass a toll-free callerid and pay a higher rate, you'll have
that option.

There are certainly many voip carriers that will allow you to pass a
toll-free callerid, however, I would assert that most are unaware of the
cost they are incurring. Of course, I could be wrong about that ... :)

Kind regards,

David Aldworth
Teliax Inc.
http://www.teliax.com/