[asterisk-biz] Max concurrent calls?

Michael Jerris mike at jerris.com
Tue Apr 3 06:32:45 MST 2007

The full answer to this question greatly depends on quite a few factors,
the most important being:

Is a single server a hard requirement?
What kind of hardware?
What will these 1000 calls be doing?
Will you be transcoding?  If so, what protocols?
What else will be running on the machine?

All those questions aside, with proper hardware for your requirements, I
would generally advise to keep individual instances of asterisk to
around 200-250 calls.  These numbers are anecdotal but somewhat
supported if you search the list archives, or look at the number of
calls that digium will support on business eddition.  Given certain
restrictions and proper hardware it would be possible to do 1000 calls
on single box with multiple instances of asterisk.

That being said, if you can describe your needs and requirements more
fully, it is quite possible that a mixture of solutions (for example
open ser and multiple asterisk instances) could even scale much larger
than that on a single box, if for example your requirements do not
require you to be in the media path for most of the calls.  The biggest
trick is to know clearly what your needs are, and segment in such a way
that you can use the best tool for each job.

Mike