Learning to Trust (was: Re: [asterisk-biz] New Wholesale Company)

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Wed Sep 27 09:15:15 MST 2006

	I've been on "the Internet" since 1981, when it was DARPANet, and I
used BitNet. And I was a kid at the time. And I too don't trust
"generic" email addresses submitting business offers.

	In the 25 years since I've dealt with people across "the" Net, doing
much business, I've always been interested in the ongoing discussion of
trust vs access. Especially in new/different communities, which
establish their own social norms. As Asterisk is the center of a comms
revolution, talking about those tradeoffs in public is very important in
establishing a longterm "culture" that can sustain itself, with each of
us doing our part in our own way. Suppressing commentary on
trustworthiness works against the birth of a sustainable community.

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 11:28 -0400, Bob Smith wrote:
> 24 years hey !
> hmm
>
> that is REALLY fishy.. the internet was born on jan 1 1983 witch makes
> it 23 years now... when systems on arpanet where switched to tcp/ip
>
> unless we thinking on sept 1 1969 ( nice unix timestamp 1) when arpanet
> was actualy born
> but that was DOD.. and i guess you prolly where 14 years old at the time..
>
> so i guess you been on the internet longer then the internet itself!
>
> just my 0.02 we all check facts to bash on people .. ain't it that
> list's purpose ?
>
> just kidding in fact the 24 years comment. made me want to research it
> and find the internet's birthday.
>
> No offense to be taking im not trolling anyone ;) have a nice day all
> and remember.. some people will always come back at ya with anything you
> say in here..
>
> Later mates
>
> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 10:59:48PM -0400, William Piper wrote:
> >
> >>    We have regular email addresses just like everyone else & it was
> >>    even put in the original email that was sent. We just don't use
> >>    it for our Asterisk list... plain & simple. I know many people in
> >>    the Asterisk community that do the same thing. There is no need to
> >>    start a flame war over this.
> >>
> >>    If you want to try out SkyNET's new wholesale platform, more power
> >>    to you, but if you don't because of an email address... well,
> >>    that's your decision.
> >>

> > It's not just him.
> >
> > I've been on the net for 23 years, and I have the same reaction: email
> > sent as a solicitation for business by an individual acting in their
> > capacity as a principal of a business should be sent from an
> > identifiably business-affiliated email domain.
> >
> > If you don't, we will -- reasonably, I think -- jump to the conclusion
> > that you're not doing it because you don't have one.. and in this day
> > and age, that's ridiculous.
> >
> > We're the buyers, we have the money.  High horses don't sell product.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -- jra`

(C) Matthew Rubenstein