[asterisk-biz] OT: Business/sales emailers using {g,hot,yahoo}mail

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Sep 27 09:04:39 MST 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 10:57:23PM +0530, Mitul Limbani wrote:
> While someone has dug up this topic, I am fairly on the side iCall guys.
>
> A) On public mailing list there are more potential that someone would
> harvest your business email and start sending SPAM to you (how many
> times you got spam on this very email address from advertisers, I hope
> you can relate to what I am saying)

That's the price you pay.  You're a business, you can afford to *pay*
someone to despam your mail.

> B) If it hurts you, then why be on this so called Business List, you
> might as well register with the developers list, or just dump such
> emails.

It doesn't hurt *us*.  It hurts the sales organization.  We're trying
to *help them*.

> C) Most hosting provider apart from the public service still restrict
> on email space and or data transfers, so its preferable to utilize all
> those GBz and data tranfers that these public Service provides for high
> volume mailing list like Asterisk-Biz.

Gmail is mediocre for handling mailing lists, just as it is for
handling email at all.  I'm quite surprised that the Google people
violate as many email protocols and conventions as they do.  Or, more
accurately, "force their users to violate..."

> Never the less, Google / MSN both have started providing custom
> domain's email hosting and that to for FREE, just in case someone wants
> to utilize Google's / MSN's  expertise on detecting whats SPAM and
> whats not rather then having own Mail Server's CPU crunching all that
> data.

More power to them.

> And yes, lets not start a flame war on this topic, if you dont prefer
> to read someone if he is emailing from public mail service, just dump
> it.

We *are*.  We just thought they might like to know why.

> Its after all matter of choice for you.(I hope you might want to change
> your perspective with free mail service after reading through my post)

Nope.  23 years experience.  Got lots of practice exercising judgement
about the implementation of internet services.  Perfectly comfortable
with this particular call.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_