[asterisk-biz] Changes of rules on 08x revenue share numbering in the UK

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Mon Sep 18 13:02:05 MST 2006

On 19 Apr 2006, at 13:25, Linus Surguy wrote:

> 0870 to be charged at no more than a geographic number (unless a
> free to
> caller annoucement is made) with corresponding removal from NTS
> determination means that interconnect revenue probably to be less than
> geographic numbers. This will effectively make 0870 numbers completely
> unviable to operate. To start around Jan 2008.
[...]
> Ofcom confirms changes to 0870 calls
> http://www.ofcom.org.uk/media/news/2006/04/nr_20060419

Back when this was published, a wider review 'due for publication in
summer 2006' was promised.  I don't suppose any of these proposals
were relaxed in this review ?

The proposed changes to 0870 outpayments are going to really hurt a
lot of UK companies who rely on this revenue (e.g. to give cheaper
international access to telecoms customers), or as end users have
built up customer loyalty and goodwill using 0870 numbers for their
intended purpose (should their provider find it can nolonger route
0870 in a viable way).

Has there been a counter argument put forward by the industry ?

-a