[asterisk-biz] Response to KP Flemming...

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Sep 7 09:19:25 MST 2006

----- trixter aka Bret McDanel <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:
> Your responses seemed a bit hostile, as they have in the past,
> whenever
> something comes up that digium wants squashed.  Like last year I
> asked
> 'is there a list of what I have to do to make asteirsk gpl
> compliant'.

Then I'm sorry for making you think that. It was not my intention.

> Ahh, makes me wonder what the real story was behind these comments
> from
> you personally:
>
> ----- James Jones <james.jones at signate.com> wrote:
> > Why did Digium request that article from digg be removed if it was
> > linking to you list archive which has been corrected already?
>
> That was done before we had a complete plan in place to deal with
> this,
> and the mailing list archives had not yet been modified.
>

> I guess I just inferred that digium had infact asked them to be
> removed.

I guess everything now has to be 'what is the real story' today... I didn't realize this was 'real story' day :-)

In any case, I posted that response to James before I had even had five minutes to review the situation. After talking to our staff, I am now fairly certain (but not positive) that it was not a Digium employee who asked Digg to remove the article. That means my initial response was in error, and I'll take the blame for that one.

> It would have to be in violation of a license not a copyright.
> Without
> knowing the license involved, I cannot say whether this was 'very
> clear'
> or not.

If the license under which you received the code does not allow you to distribute it, and you do so, then in some sense it is both a license violation and a copyright violation. If you received the code indirectly and the person who gave it to you did not have permission to do so (for example), then you are not violating the license because you are not a party to the license, but you are still violating the copyright on the code. At least that's my understanding... as always, I am not a lawyer :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer