[asterisk-biz] Response to KP Flemming...

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Sep 7 06:12:58 MST 2006

----- Joe Shmoe <asterisk_truth at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You say its not your code.  But yet, why would you
> actually admit to one of your own leaking it.  Well
> some research has been done one the code.. here's what
> we found..

Please demonstrate where anyone from Digium has 'admitted to one of our own leaking it'.

> the g723.1 library code that was posted matches the
> library code distributed by Digium and committed to
> CVS by Mark in March 2003, with the one exception that
> the tab_lpc.c file that was distributed by the poster
> had CRLF line endings in it, where the one from Digium
> CVS had only LF endings.  The module code was
> identical to:
> http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk/trunk/codecs/codec_g723_1.c?rev=5869&view=markup

That is all correct information. The codec_g723_1.c file is the same as the one that was in Asterisk 1.2. The codec_g729.c file is not the same as any version Digium has ever maintained.

> Also if you want to know if Digium fully complies the
> the GPL no.  They dont.  Digium has added a paragraph
> of text under the symbol ASTERISK_GPL_KEY in
> include/asterisk/module.h which every Asterisk module
> must return when a function *key() is called by the
> module loader.

Which of course is completely unrelated, has been hashed over multiple times on this list, and is a moot point anyway because any user of Asterisk is free to remove that code if they wish (unlike the Lexmark case that seems to the basis for this argument, where the owner of the device was NOT free to remove the restricition).

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer