[asterisk-biz] Re: G729 Replacement Codec - FREE or may necheaper than existing one.

Michael Jerris mike at jerris.com
Mon Sep 4 17:48:35 MST 2006

No, that's not correct by my reading of the GPL.  The GPL does not
restrict your personal use of the code in any way, it may well restrict
your distribution of that code if it is derived from GPL code, or if it
is distributed with asterisk.  There is quite a bit of legal information
about what a derivative work is, but suffice to say without
extraordinary efforts, if you wrote a g729 module for asterisk, it would
be a derived work, and you would not have any legal right to distribute
it, but you could use it, assuming you had addressed all patent
licensing and other such issues.

Mike