[asterisk-biz] T.38 Fax2Mail

Leo Ann Boon leo at datvoiz.com
Mon Oct 30 02:02:42 MST 2006

David wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I never heard of G.729 pass-thru. I'm not sure that it exists.
G.729 pass-through is an asterisk specific issue :). By default,
asterisk doesn't support G.729. If you have endpoints that support
g.729, you can configure asterisk in a pass-through mode to connect the
endpoints directly without complaint. Otherwise, asterisk will restrict
both endpoints to using codecs supported by asterisk.

> In any case, the way T.38 works (at least in my network) is that when
> the receiving end detects that a fax machine answered the call, it
> sends a reINVITE with a request to switch to T.38, regardless of the
> codec used for the call setup.
That's correct.

> Since all my DID providers and own gateways are configured and tested
> successfully with T.38, I don't want to start playing around with
> other things (like G.711).
>
> I need (if it's possible) Asterisk to be configured to send T.38
> reINVITE immediately when it connects the call, if it knows that it's
> for a "Fax DID" and connect in T.38 and once received, send the fax to
> the email address of the customer in PDF or Tiff format.
IIRC, asterisk 1.2 doesn't support reinvite when fax is detected. This
feature was in the development branch, so you should check out 1.4, or
openpbx (where Steve Underwood is very active).

Leo