[asterisk-biz] How Realistic is Hosted VoIP for SMBs?

GlobalOfficePhone globalofficephone at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 19:13:01 MST 2006

Greg:

Thanks for your thoughts. I am familiar with SIP signalling and media stream
separation in SIP and I agree with you that the media can be sent directly
between two SIP endpoints. This would work if the PBX was local and the PBX
and the endpoints were behind the same NAT.

However, as I understand it,  when the endpoints are behind a different NAT
then the hosted PBX (which most are in case of SMBs), then SIP and Asterisk
doesn't allow direct endpoint-to-endpoint connection and the media stream
must pass through the Asterisk server. Unless, of course, the hosted PBX is
using some other tricks.

As per your last comment, my only point is that if endpoint-to-endpoint
media stream is not possible, then the situation described would require
much higher WAN bandwidth.

Jim Cole: As to your comment, I am assuming a SIP system for this
discussion.

Thanks.