[asterisk-biz] Fraud

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Thu Oct 26 06:33:15 MST 2006

	These scams are rarely manually operated by each scammer. If we see
another one, especially with different grammatical errors, we're
probably seeing a new app on the market, targeted at our industry. And
so will see hundreds/thousands of attempts, and then variations,
mutating to find niche recipients that feedback money.

	Have you notified the FBI and FTC? It seems ridiculous, but they do
compile these scams. When their "priorities" do "allow", they do act on
them - if they have a dossier. Once the crime passes say $100K damage,
they could do something. But the damages and evidence are only according
to their records, so it pays to notify them early.

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 07:59 -0400, Charles Vance wrote:
> sounds like those annoying Nigerian emails asking for your banking info with
> a promise that millions of dollars will be deposited into your account.
>

> >From: Bob Smith <bureau at inmte.com>
> >To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk
> >Discussion<asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com>
> >Subject: [asterisk-biz] Fraud
> >Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 00:54:35 -0400
> >
> >careful all , one guy is scanning all paypal account  from any website
> >linked on voipinfo and making payment reminders that do not exist.
> >"$124.99"
> >"SIR FIRST NAME LAST NAME, PAYPAL WILL RETIRE TO YOU ACCOUNT THE TOTAL
> >AMOUNT OF 124.99 to CODER THE REFUND OF THE CUSTOMER"
> >
> >just be careful its a trap email to get you to click and pay him..
> >
> >from the poor English of the message (he spoofs from paypal)  it's  a sure
> >scam from another foreigner ..
> >
> >just wanted to let you guys know since it hit an account that only someone
> >scanning voipinfo would know about.

(C) Matthew Rubenstein