[asterisk-biz] out of the box PBX

Farzal Dojki farzal at ubm.com.pk
Sat Oct 21 16:47:31 MST 2006

IT was the part about hardware costing about a $1,000. I am sure you realize
the inquiry was for the software but still went about your way.

A lot of other open source software - JBoss, MySQL, SugarCRM - works great
out of the box. They also result in significant savings over their
competition (Websphere, Oracle, Siebel). That's the FOSS business model
which I believe is true in spirit, and the one we see in database, OS, App
Servers, CRM areas.

The software is free, the support costs. By using JBoss, MySQL and SugarCRM,
we managed a 24x7 call centre based Insurance company with 0 support
personnel. The whole insurance ERP was built using open source components,
and it ran on Linux + mysql + jboss just as fine as it would have on Windows
+ sql server + Web sphere (our development environment).

The point is - open source does not mean broken. It does not mean weak. It
does not mean nightmares. And you all seem to imply that the underlying
Asterisk is broken, weak and unreliable, and spending hundreds of $ per user
is a must to have a reliable system.

Anyways, I am a poor engineer from a poor country. Linus Torvalds (and Mark
Spencer?) is our hero. It's 5 in the morning. FC4+Asterisk+freepbx+FOP seems
to work for now.

It was good weekend discussion. Let's get back to business.

Farzal