[asterisk-biz] Recording Consent (was: Re: [asterisk-users] snom 360: how to make record button working ?)

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Thu Oct 5 13:20:27 MST 2006

	That page is useful for determining whether other parties must consent
to recordings on a call with all endpoints of *a wired line* in a single
state. Because then the state law applies to every part of the call,
without other state jurisdictions.

	But it addresses mobile phones only as radios in discussing how
parties' consent governs recording permission. It doesn't address what
happens when a mobile caller is in a state with different consent
requirements than another caller. And by extension (puns intended ;),
VoIP, where the geographical location of the caller can be hard to
prove, hard to even determine at all, and maybe hard to even be definite
in reality. What about when the recording Asterisk box is in a different
state, across the Internet, from the different people talking? And then
there's government "privileges", like the current controversy over NSA
wiretapping of people in different locations? And related jurisdiction
questions about governing calls passing through American
networks/servers, whose callers aren't even in the US? Do new Internet
gambling laws inform the structural policies?

	I expect that no one knows the answers to what a judge would say if
these recordings were introduced in a court, except in the simple case
of a single state with fixed terminals. Unfortunately, I expect this
list will see a lot of that education getting delivered over the next
several years at very high cost to everyone involved.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein