[asterisk-biz] Chanskype released

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Oct 3 14:52:09 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 18:34 -0300, Bernardo Vieira wrote:

> You're right, I can't imagine anyone in their right mind running X along
> with * in a production environment.

If you really wanted this, you could run the X virtual framebuffer,
which doesnt use hardware but provides the same functionality.  VNC is
probably required becuase you have to allow a remote program to connect
to skype (or edit the xml config file to allow it to happen and log in
automagically without ever interacting with the skype client).

The biggest problem that I see is that the skype client only lets 1 call
at a time through it in this fashion.  As such if you want to support 10
calls you have to have 10 clients running all with different logins.

There are two major methods of controlling skype clients, one is dbus or
via X (Qt) controls.  The dbus method is the one that skype pushes more
aggressively, and that one requires yet another thing to run, although
its fairly light on both cpu and ram, so it by itself shouldnt matter
that much.  Skype however isnt so friendly.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!