[asterisk-biz] CALEA

asterisk_help at iwishi.nu asterisk_help at iwishi.nu
Tue Nov 7 14:23:44 MST 2006

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Mike Hammett wrote:
> How are you guys solving your CALEA compliance requirement?
> Mike Hammett

Hi Mike,

Glad to see someone else ask the question.

We have just completed our SSNI policy and filed that with the FCC.
SSNI is "System Security and Network Integrity".  All service providers
needed to file their written policies for the FCC to review before
November 2nd, that was 5 days ago for those of you who haven't started
yet.

You can learn more at http://www.askcalea.net/

At Astricon, I was unable to make the developers meeting, and when I asked
other presenters later in the week about their plans for CALEA, I was
basicly blown off I guess. I think many service providers are resisting
regulation and ignoring the problems we are going to need to solve to
remain legal.

I need to work with our tech guys, but I suspect we are going to write a
manager monitor to collect the events we need.  Any missing events or
actions and we'll post a bounty for patches to Asterisk.

Here's some references to what we're expected to log or collect for the
feds.  http://www.askcalea.net/standards.html

Anyone have access to the ATIS docs?

Here's an outline of the basics.

Originating call from a Surveillance Subject
Call Termination to a Surveillance Subject
Placing a Call on Hold
Call Redirection (Forwarding?)
Call Waiting
Call Transfer
Three-Way Calling
Call Block
Repeat Call
Return Call
911 Emergency and N11 Services
Mid-Call CODEC Change
CallAnswer
TerminationAttempt
Registration events and deregistration and the why or how of it.