[asterisk-biz] How Realistic is Hosted VoIP for SMBs?

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 3 18:36:29 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 13:25 -0800, shadowym wrote:
> I am simply stating that Enterprise class equipment is generally
> mean't for
> people who don't really care about price.

What a ridiculous statement. For nearly two decades I have worked both
for big vendors and the Telco/Enterpise side and price is *always* an
issue that needs to be discussed no matter what the solution is. Maybe
you missed a certain .com crash a few years ago but since then the
financial aspects of ICT projects are thoroughly scrutinized. Don't know
where you got that idea but it sure does not live up to reality.

> Most people involved in Asterisk
> are here because they want Enterprise class features at small business
> prices.

Disagree. I think there are many people here who want the *flexibility*
and openness of Asterisk at a reasonable price. You don't seem to
understand what "Enterprise class features" mean. Call any of the
prominent Asterisk consultants and ask them what an Enterprise class 1+1
redundant clustered Asterisk setup with dynamic route/billing engine
costs. The number they come up with (if at all) will be as close to
"small business prices" as Bill Gates' laptop DVD drive to a Red Hat
Enterprise Linux DVD.

> Chill out dude,
>
> Take your own advice and think before you post.  My post was not a
> slight
> against you.  I have absolutely no idea who you are and could care
> less what
> you can and cannot afford.
[snip]