[asterisk-biz] How Realistic is Hosted VoIP for SMBs?

GlobalOfficePhone globalofficephone at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 12:14:58 MST 2006

I appreciate the thoughts posted on the this thread. If I may, I would like
to rephrase the question about hosted VoIP for SMBs:

Can Asterisk allow direct media (audio) between two end points that are
behind a NAT (typical SMB scenario) that is different than the the NAT where
Asterisk server is located (hosted VoIP)?

According to *Olle E. Johansson, *Asterisk guru,
(http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-doc/2004-June/000547.html)

Canreinvite=yes *only* works if all devices are on the same side of the NAT, the
> outside or the inside.
>
> If one device is on a different side of a NAT device than another phone
> or Asterisk, you can't allow re-invites for that device.

He attributes this limitation to Asterisk not being a true SIP Proxy. That
being the case, would one have to put SER or Session Border Controller (SBC)
in front of Asterisk to achieve peer-to-peer media stream directly between
the endpoints thus avoiding the WAN? Or, would one have to use SipX which IS
a true SIP proxy as well.

Thanks.