[asterisk-biz] asterisk hardware server

Paul Matthews paul at xedos.net
Wed May 31 14:24:09 MST 2006

I am new to this group so can not speak with any authority but I have
been pondering myself on the same subject as to whether go with
something like Asterisk at Home, Astlinux combined with say PBXware  or do
a Centos based self build

Astlinux is written by the co-author of Voip Hacks (which I very much
reccomend btw) and is a super paired down distro for running on hardware
with non-moveable parts although as previosuly stated can run equally
well on more standard disk based hardware. As far as I can tell it is
based on linux kernel 2.6 and BusyBox which is a favourite for embedded
linux based hardware. The fact that it is minimal means it is
pre-hardened in security terms but the downside is that loading any new
software could be more painful as dependant packages may not already
exist and you will most likely need to compile missing ones from source.
Having said this most of the features needed for a small SMB size pbx
seem to be there such as openssh for maintenance,  pre-configured
asterisk specific firewall, web server (mini-httpd), cron for scheduling
periodic jobs, all the asterisk s/w obviously as well as a few custom
tools such as Astshape (asterisk traffic shaping tool).

My concern, though is that it appears to be a one person effort at the
moment and although the chap is undeniably skilled if he ever left or
lost interest you could be left with a potentially difficult to upgrade
server at customer sites.

Having said this I still plan to give it a try, although I would feel
more comfortable if all these packages were sitting on a more standard
os such as Centos

Rgds
Paul