[asterisk-biz] Selling the source codefor asteriskcallcentersolution

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Tue May 30 10:26:52 MST 2006

Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> Further the gpl only matters if DISTRIBUTION happens.  For example commercial modules could be written for asterisk, so long as they don’t use asterisk gpl code, link to asterisk gpl code and are not distributed with asterisk gpl code.  The fsf was clear on this issue with asterisk specifically.
I believe you mean "proprietary" instead of "commercial". There is a lot
of commercial code under the GPL.

Also there is a nice gray area around shipping the source code that is
compiled by each customer. You can link into the GPL as much as you want
because you didn't ship binaries linked to the GPLed code. Also a lot of
projects based on "managed code" languages can get around a lot of GPL
restrictions because they are (in their form of "linking") linked at run
time and not distributed linked.

Mike