[asterisk-biz] Digium T400P Clone For Sale

Mark Spencer markster at digium.com
Mon May 22 07:33:01 MST 2006

Okay...  Normally I stay out of stuff like this but I think there is enough confusion here that it merits one, hopefully brief, response to explain a few things that have been said:

1) This list *is* for commercial use and is not limited to just Digium products, so the original post was entirely legitimate.  While I appreciate Justin's passion for Digium, I agree that his comments were inappropriate and do not reflect Digium in any official capacity.

2) The Tormenta card was jointly developed by Jim Dixon and myself.  My primary role with respect to the hardware was initial part selection and the initial VHDL work as well.  David Kramer also donated his time to do the layout.  On the software side, I was the one who took the "torisa.c" file and turned it into the zaptel architecture supporting multiple boards.  It is also noteworthy that Digium (at the time Linux Support Services) entirely funded the development of that board, paying for all the expenses.  The board was GPL'd but there have never been any contributions to the original design.  It is legal to build the design although, as Andrew pointed out, its performance is extremely lackluster.

3) With respect to Steve Torato's comments, the handling of IRQ's is essentially the same across modern PCI architecture.  While it is true that Digium a long time ago did not provide free tech support for data mode, that is no longer the case.  With respect to "PCI Problems" only the TE110P has issues with certain newer motherboards.  We make available a hardware incompatibility list while we work to update the design resolve the issue (which really has to do with the PCI interface chip anyway).  Digium cards absolutely do support mixed data and voice on the same card.

4) With respect to Sergey's comments, I would dare say that Asterisk, both hardware and software, are our specialty and that is why Sangoma sends customers to us for support, not the other way around.

I hope this helps clarify things a bit!

Mark