[asterisk-biz] Number Portability

Henry.Coleman henry.coleman at voip-pbx.ca
Fri May 19 04:35:09 MST 2006

RE: Number portability
In the UK the original owner of the number range always maintains
ownership and makes a small interconnect "handling" charge on every call
to the  subscribers new carrier -- Apart from an initial porting charge to
the subcriber (which the new carrier may eat to get the subscriber to buy
the service) the interconnect charge is rarely seen at a subscriber
billing level. Even at an interconnect level (inter-carrier) this charge
may be ommited on the basis of being too difficult to bill.
Interconnect charges are nearly always billed sequencially back from the
terminating carrier in the opposite direction to the call direction.
The main exception being Toll Free numbers
The imposition of this porting charge from one interconnect carrier to
another breaks this rule and consequently is very difficult maintain.
In reality, interconnecting carriers tend to stick it into a settlement
account for a few years (where it collects dust). These accounts can be
very useful as they can be seen as an Account Receivable or Payable
depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Henry Coleman [VoIP-PBX.ca]