[asterisk-biz] Dedicated Virtual Asterisk Boxes

Eric Tichansky asterisk at lylix.net
Tue May 16 00:07:40 MST 2006

 > Maby you should check this article:
 > http://www.telephreak.org/papers/vpa/
 >
 > I installed asterisk in a virutal server and it works great for now
(we are testing right now).

 >benq

We are currently providing Asterisk VPSs with no complaints from
customers.  The underlying technology is Linux-Vserver, ie. OS
virtualization.  The advantage over Xen and UML is that each guest is a
"little closer to the metal", utilizing the host kernel and only
suffering a slight hit from the virtualization layer.  We also closely
monitor usage across the board to ensure there is no CPU or network
hogging. Each host is built with the zaptel modules, specifically
ztdummy, and we have seen excellent performance with Meetme.

If a customer where to build asterisk from source inside a VPS, they
just need to follow the VPA document at telephreaks (previously
mentioned) after the host stuff.  Though zaptel is not required by any
means for a functional Asterisk VPS, copying a couple zaptel headers is
necessary for a complete Asterisk build to include Meetme, et. al.  This
means zaptel is not actually compiled in the VPS.

At the moment we know that systems are running on Gentoo and CentOS
distributions, both 32 and 64-bit.  Most of them are testbeds with the
intention to move on to dedicated hardware after concepts are thoroughly
tested.

--
Administrator
LYLIX.NET