[asterisk-biz] Large System

Aaron Daniel amdtech at shsu.edu
Wed Mar 29 09:52:49 MST 2006

I know there are a couple companies out there with 1000+ phones on
solely asterisk systems.  We're in the process of rolling up from testing
into about 1700 phones this summer (a few hundred in the next week, then
a straight shot from there to 1700 by june), and then up into the
8000-10000 phone range by next summer, replacing an old nortel meridian
system.  We've found that asterisk is more than capable of handling the
call load, as long as you've got the dialplan and database's programmed
right.

There are quite a few ways to make it redundant.  Dundi's a good way to
set up multiple distributed locations with support for automatic extension
detection from other servers, or you can program the cluster capabilities
into the dialplan and rely on DNS to get the phones to the right server.

We're currently looking at 2 primary call servers (separate gateways and
voicemail servers) to handle all the calls, if need be we'll drop in
another one and add it to the cluster to handle more call load.

Best of luck :)

Aaron

--
Aaron Daniel