[asterisk-biz] Large System

Michael Welter mike at telecommatters.net
Wed Mar 29 08:25:12 MST 2006

Does anyone know of an Asterisk system with 1000 SIP phones?  I'm being
asked to propose an alternative to Cisco/Avaya/Nortel pricing, but I've
never contemplated a system this large.

Should I consider a SER front end (to register the phones and for
inter-company calling) with an Asterisk back end (to provide the PSTN
interface)?  Or would an Asterisk system handle 1000 phones?  Ignoring
conference bridges, how should the system be sized?

Until now, I've ignored the Linux clustering discussions on the list.
Should I consider a monolithic server or a distributed system with each
server having ~250 phones and a PSTN interface?

The real scary part of this project is the necessity to upgrade the
wiring (both Cat3 and Cat5) in a very old (lath and plaster) building.
I've observed two-prong (no ground) electrical plugs, so I'm thinking a
PoE phone with PC jack at each work location.  Or maybe a NetJack at
each location.

Thanks for your advice.
Mike

--