[asterisk-biz] AstriCon Update: Europe Early Bird Open - Expanded Class Schedule

Steven Sokol ssokol at sokol-associates.com
Wed Mar 22 19:04:55 MST 2006

On 3/22/06, Mark Phillips <g7ltt at g7ltt.com> wrote:

> Why if it's being held in Western Europe is it being charged for in US$?

Because, unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to get a US credit card
processor to accept Euros.  (Much to my disappointment.)

> Do I get a discount for paying in Euro's on the basis that neither of us
> has to pay ForEx charges?

Ah, if only it were that easy... Unfortunately, I don't have a Euro
account and the US banking system is rather, well, antiquated.
Fortunately, the system is set up to take either credit cards or
PayPal, both of which offer good (i.e. free or nearly free)
international exchange rates.

Hope to see you at one of the three events.

> astgroups wrote:
> > Just an observation but I suspect you are going to have participation
> > issues, especially at the Berlin venue. Astricon will be held at the
> > height of the World Cup which is being hosted in Germany no less during
> > those dates. Anyone who lives or who has lived in Europe will tell you
> > that the Cup will eclipse every other event and will monopolize the
> > attention of all Europe, Asterisk fanatics included I'm betting...For
> > those of us who would like to go and are traveling from outside Europe,
> > airline tickets will be very expensive and short on availability. Same
> > may be true for hotel accomodations. I hope I'm wrong and am able to
> > attend, but I think it would have been wiser to pick other dates..

For better or for worse, the dates we have are the dates Mark and
several other key Asterisk folk can be in Europe.  I wish we didn't
have to compete with the Cup (as there seems to be no real competing
with the Cup) but I can offer this:  I will bring an extra projector.
If someone can bring a tuner we will have the key game up on a
secondary screen at all times during the conference.

Thanks,

Steve

--
Steven Sokol