[asterisk-biz] Wanted: US unlimited

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Sat Mar 18 06:23:17 MST 2006

trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

>On Sat, 2006-03-18 at 06:05 -0500, Mark Phillips wrote:
>

>>What sort of quantity? If its low level SOHO type stuff then perhaps one
>>of the domestic VoIP carriers like Broadvoice or Vonage can help?
>>

>>Dome C. wrote:
>>

>>>Dear All,
>>>
>>>I'm looking for carrier who can support US Unlimited
>>>
>>>Dome C.
>>>

>one thing to note is that even with those carriers unlimited doesnt
>really mean unlimited.  If you read the fine print for both broadvoice
>and vonage (their user agreement) it states that its for 'normal call
>volumes' as *they* define them (meaning normal for them may not even be
>the normal of the industry as a whole).
>
>I do not know of any 'unlimited' provider that is truely
>'unlimited' (although I have a few that may be I havent tried to see if
>it really is), they all seem to bury something somewhere that lets them
>cap the service.  This is for good reason, in an unlimited setting
>someone could very easly use it for telemarketing or something else that
>is generating a very high call volume or stay connected 24/7 for other
>reasons, and generally this costs the provider money, not just for
>minutes used but also for the TDM circuits, etc.  They have to be
>getting compensated for that service somehow, and $25/mo typically wont
>cover their costs.

It's blatant fraud and lawmakers of all political parties lack the
backbone to deal with it. There is also a major invasion of privacy when
the provider analyzes call patterns looking for "residential"
subscribers using the account for business purposes. If landline
providers were allowed to do this it would cause an uproar. Imagine a
telco requiring your doctor to pay business rates for his home line
because the answering service transfers emergency calls to him there!

Don't consumers have the right to buy a product and use it heavily for
recreational/hobby purposes without being spied on? How can these
(expletive deleted) providers legally determine if the account is being
used for business purposes. If you call an employee at home to discuss a
project does vonage have the right to start charging him about $20 more
per month?

I think the traditional distinction between residential and business
phone service was that you got listed in the directory as a business.
Because I pay the extra money for a business POTS line, I get to pick
one yellow pages category at no extra charge and I get listed in the
white pages under my business name. Even the big V company can't do that
but they expect me to pay for a business service plan.