[asterisk-biz] Re: GSM Gateway and Asterisk - No callerID

Linus Surguy linus at magrathea-telecom.co.uk
Thu Mar 16 04:19:55 MST 2006

>> Strange (but possibly true). It sounds like a business can run an
>> internal department to implement such gateways, complete with
>> intra-company cost transfers I guess, and yet that function cannot be
>> outsourced to another company.
>
> Blame the mobile operators, they complained to Ofcom who clarified and
> made it illegal (as a gateway is NOT mobile).
>
> Now if someone put a gateway on some railway tracks or equiv and had it
> moving around, then it possibly would be legal ;)

Actually, it was the other way around, they clarified that 'fixed' cellular
terminals are allowed. However, they ruled that operating one for the
purposes of commerical resale was effectively operating as a mobile
telephony operator, which without a license to do so is illegal under the
Wireless Telegraphy Act.

Linus