[asterisk-biz] T1 Y cable

Herman Webley herman.webley at blitzllc.com
Tue Mar 14 06:46:21 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 08:16 -0500, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> I would far prefer to use something a little smarter: watch the actual
> datastream and switch over if either the transmit or receive stream is
> showing RAI or, depending on the level of smarts you want to build into it,
> any oddball condition.  This is how the professional failover systems work.
> Simply looking for the cable to be disconnected is a fool's errand since it's
> *very* rare that it is a physical line problem preventing connectivity.

No, the switch wouldn't try to detect a disconnect. It would rely on the
smarts of PC servers. They would use linux HA heartbeat or similar. When
the secondary detects failure of the primary, it would take control of
the T1 line.

Basically I want all the smarts to be in the (already smart?) server
leaving the switch a cheap simple item with little to go wrong.

Best regards,
Herman Webley