[asterisk-biz] 911

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Mar 8 19:22:26 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 08:57 -0500, Tim Booth wrote:
> First of all I'm not asking you to promote my company, we sell service
> to our existing clients and that's fine for us now. I like knowing that
> if my clients pick up their line and has to dial 911 it's going to work.
> Fumbling around for the extra 30 seconds to make sure you're on a POTS
> line could in some cases mean life or death. I'm done with this subject;
> I just wanted to know what companies have a good solution without
> utilizing loop holes in the FCC ruling.

Well you are using that fcc loophole to provide e911 access the same as
people that dont qualify are using a loophole.  The rules are what they
are, and following them regardless of whether or not 911 is provided is
still a loophole aparently by your definition.

At least we now know that you use a fcc loophole in following the rules.
So you are on equal footing with the negative conotations of the word
loophole.

And a pots line can infact be integrated with an asterisk box fairly
simply, and 911 can be routed over that line without requiring someone
to pick up an additional line.

Since you are talking about your service, what is your uptime?  What is
the uptime of your network access?  What is the uptime of my network
access?  What is the uptime of my sip client?  What is the uptime of the
networks in between mine and yours?

I know that my phone company has a higher uptime than the combined
uptime of all those entities, and if I really wanted to get 911 access
it would be available to me because I have a pstn connect directly, and
I wont have to fumble around for 30 seconds when my system for whatever
reason wont connect to yours, which as you pointed out could be the
difference between life and death.  Infact my ATA will *automatically*
flip to pstn directly if my server is down for any reason, so it really
doesnt take any effort on my part should I be the cause of the outage
for VoIP.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378