[asterisk-biz] 911

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Mar 8 17:29:43 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 18:56 -0500, C F wrote:
> On 3/7/06, Tim Booth <tbooth at visioncom.us> wrote:
> > I agree with you completely. It sound like there are loop
> > holes and many

> Wrong, these are not loop holes but what the FCC intended.

The speed limit signs say maximum speed 55 around here, so I guess a
loophole is to drive less than 55 mph and then pretend you are compliant
with the speed limit.

Personally I dont see this as a loophole.

> > company will not put any outbound DID into service unless my client can
> > use it in the event of an emergency.  To be successful in selling
>
> Good for you.
>
> > "voip-dialtone" the client wants it to be just like their PSTN lines at
> > a lower flat rate. Would you put your employees life's in jeopardy to
> > save 15 bucks a month? I wouldn't.
>
> No, I would spend the training to tell them they have to use the
> backup phone that is connected to POTS, and NO I wouldn't tell them to
> get VoIP by your company.

Lets say I get 15 dids from the same company, all with outbound service.
Is there really a difference bewteen outbound on just one account that
lets me set the callerid, or do I really need 911 for each and every
number that I have?  The reality is that if they are all going to the
same physical location, same office suite, same everything I really only
would need 1 entry in the address database and all 911 calls go off that
did/outbound service pair.  Further the FCC does not talk about this
facet, and it is reasonable (although it may be incorrect) to assume
that you can provide 1 911 service account regardless of the total
number of DIDs that are issued.  As such being able to get service
doesnt have to be a direct 1:1 relation, and the cost can be lower.

With that said, I personally tell my clients to keep a direct pstn line
for both faxing and 911 purposes.  I do this because right now FoIP
doesnt work that well, and if its a real emergency I wouldnt want to
rely on both a working system (which may or may not have a battery
backup depending on how cheap the customer is), and a working network
and a working internet connection, and valid routing at the time of the
emergency to the SIP server, and the SIP server working, and their
routing to the PSAP be valid, and ...

Telco switches generally dont fail as often as the internet at large,
and when you start mixing many companies in between the odds of failure
go up (companies such as the backbones that may route between the ITSP
and the customer).  Telephone switches also generally are more immune to
DoS attacks, something that cant be said of the internet.  While DoS
attacks can and do happen on telco gear its the exception more than the
rule.

Further I set up my systems with the ability for people to take phones
home with them and have a virtual office at home.  Dialing 911 from that
setup isnt generally a good thing as the response will goto the wrong
place.

Now if I were selling residential service the situation may be
different, however I typically stay away from that as its got a high
cost associated with it.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378