[asterisk-biz] Does VoIP Really Work for Serious Business?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Mar 8 06:54:54 MST 2006

On Tuesday 07 March 2006 16:15, Mark wrote:
> Thirdly, I may well be flamed for this next part, however PART of the
> problem MAY be Asterisk! Asterisk favors Native bridging unless
> explicitly forced to do otherwise. After having worked with a variety of
> media types over more thanb 25 years, I will say that less is best. In
> other words, why use Asterisk Native bridging when it may not be the
> highest quality call that you can deliver? There is really no reason in
> most cases to pass the media through an asterisk box, unless you need to
> transcode it.

Perhaps I am mis-reading your message, but native bridging *is* the best audio
quality you can get if your Asterisk box has to stay in the middle.  With a
native bridge, the frames are essentially just passed on without any mucking
about with them, giving you the lowest latency possible in the given
situation.

Unless you have notransfer=yes in your iax.conf or have given Asterisk reason
to stay in the media path, Asterisk *will* do what it can to get the hell out
of the path whenever possible.

SIP may indeed be different; I do not have the requisite skills in SIP to talk
about it.  :-)

-A.