[asterisk-biz] Does VoIP Really Work for Serious Business?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Wed Mar 8 06:44:43 MST 2006

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Steve Totaro wrote:

> This is a great and honest email.  I am looking forward to the replies.
>
> My thoughts are VoIP is ready for serious business on the LAN and point
> to point links.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro

Yep.. I make two distinctions when I do my "Deploying Asterisk for the
SOHO Market" presentation;

VoIP vs. VoPI

Voice over IP works fine on private, QOS engineered links and on
Enterprise LANS.

Voice over Public Internet works most of the time, but there is no way to
prioritize traffic on the Public Internet. There is also no way to
gurantee the route a packet will take and/or the latency between packets.
At some point, if you rely on the Public Internet, you will be disapointed
at the results.

If you deploy a VoIP solution without clearly understanding the network
engineering required to increase it's reliability and quality of service,
you WILL have problems at some point.

                             KP-216-121-ST