[asterisk-biz] Re: 911

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Wed Mar 8 02:28:56 MST 2006

This seemed relevant on this thread so I thought I would share..

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6047054.html
Net phone providers describe E911 obstacles

"We have a long way to go to get the rest of our customers done," said
Maureen Napolitano, director of E911 customer service for Verizon

If Verizon is having problems with its VoIP stuff, when they could
conceivably use the verizon local access imagine how hard it is for a
non ILEC affiliated company to do it.

Add to that:
"We're making progress, but it's extremely complex," said Mary Boyd, a
vice president at Intrado

Even the people selling the service to interconnect to e911 is having
problems aparently, yet they still sell the service Hmm...

Even NENA (basically the entity that manages 911 resources) admits there
are issues with addresses and other things.  In short big players in the
middle of 911 are having issues getting this done, and done right.

So the little guy has a smaller chance unless they are really little and
service only a very small geographic area.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378