[asterisk-biz] 911

smbPBX smbpbx at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 05:01:20 MST 2006

Stanaphone did excatly that.

Stanaphone email dated 10/25/05:

 Dear StanaPhone User,

*In a few weeks, StanaPhone will be switching to a new calling procedure
because of the FCC.s 911 ruling. When this switch is complete, there will be
full separation of outbound and inbound calling plans.*

This means that you will be assigned a *StanaPhone Account Number* in
addition to your phone number. All calls from StanaPhone to StanaPhone will
still be FREE and UNLIMITED: the only difference is that you will need to
call someone.s * StanaPhone Account Number*, instead of their direct dial
number, as you currently do.

You will keep your current StanaPhone number. This will automatically become
your *Stana-IN* number that will allow you to receive calls from regular
phones (and, if you use our fax service, it will also be your
*StanaFax-IN*number).

Calls from any StanaPhone to *Stana-IN* numbers will be paid calls. The
per-minute rate for calls to *Stana-IN* numbers will be the same as for
calls within the Continental USA.
*If I make a call from my StanaPhone to another StanaPhone Account Number,
will I be charged for this call?*
No. You will not be charged. All calls to other StanaPhone Account Numbers
are free and unlimited.

*If I make a call from my StanaPhone to a Stana-IN number, will I be
charged?*
Yes. You will be charged at our standard rate for calls to the Continental
US.

*Yes. You will be charged according to our standard calling rates.* Yes. You
will be charged according to our standard calling rates.   See the thread on
this list by trixter "US e911 reminder" dated 11/25/06:
Some excerpt from that thread:

Well part of the requirement is that you have to cease selling and
advertising if you arent compliant.  Stanaphone appears to have split
their inbound and outbound calls into 2 physically seperate servers (got
a letter from them a while back about that).  Interconnected appears to
use the word 'and' instead of 'or' for calls to and calls from the pstn.
As such they believe that this makes them not interconnected as defined
in the CFR.  I dont know if that will work, but that is what they said
they did.

See also the thread on this list dated Feb 14, 2006 by Mojo Jojo:
*[asterisk-biz] 911 required for termination/origination only? *

Here is the Stanaphone Press Release dated Nov 22, 2005

Media Contact
Rurik Bradbury
Director of Communications
StanaPhone
212 375 6372
rbradbury at intermedia.net

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

StanaPhone is No Longer an "Interconnected VoIP Provider"

Company affirms compliance with FCC's November 28 deadline

New York, November 22, 2005 — StanaPhone, an Internet calling company, is no
longer an "interconnected VoIP provider" and therefore complies with the
terms of
the FCC's November 28 deadline for offering 911 access.

Following a re-engineering of the StanaPhone system, it now offers five
different
and separate services.  Called 'Stana-PHONE', 'Stana-IN', 'Stana-OUT',
'Stana-
FAX' and 'Stana-CONFERENCE', the services allow users to talk to each other
for
free, to receive incoming calls, to make outgoing phone calls to traditional
telephones, to receive faxes and to hold conference calls respectively.

StanaPhone wishes to make clear that it is not designed as a replacement for
traditional household or office landline, that it will not be marketed as
such, and that
our users should not expect 911 functionality.  This notice will also be
posted clearly
on the company Web site at www.stanaphone.com.

Says Michael Choupak, president of StanaPhone Communications LLC, "This
announcement represents our unambiguous pledge that we are not an
"interconnected VOIP provider" as defined by the FCC (FCC-05-116A1,
paragraph
24) and that we are not subject to the November 28 FCC 911 requirement."

###

About StanaPhone
Serving more than 200,000 users worldwide, StanaPhone is an early leader in
calling over the Internet.  By offering a simple and cheap way to make calls
over a
broadband connection, it gives people in 200 countries the ability to make
calls from
anywhere they have Internet access, and – separately – to receive calls at a
US
number in an area code of their choice.  StanaPhone is headquartered in New
York
City.

For more information, visit www.stanaphone.com.

Regards,
smbPBX

On 3/6/06, C F < shmaltz at gmail.com> wrote:

> If one is not trying to replace a traditional phone company (if for
> example you need 2 accounts to use a system, 1 for incoming and
> another for outgoing, or that incoming and outgoing are 2 different
> services) then they are FCC compliant even if they don't give
> E911/911.
>
> On 3/6/06, Tim Booth <tbooth at visioncom.us> wrote:
> >

> > I see a lot of different companies on the list selling DID's. My
> question is
> > how many of you have an actual FCC complaint service in regards to E911?
> >

> > Tim Booth
> >
> > President
> >
> > VisionCom

Regards,