[asterisk-biz] Email2Fax and Fax2Email Solutions

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Jun 19 04:21:29 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 04:20 -0300, Daniel Mossinato wrote:
> Dear Asterisk Friends,
>
> I want to provide to my client Email2Fax and Fax2Email service just like
> j2send.com does.
j2 does it by owning the patent and they do go after people that
advertise fax2email services.  be warned - while the patent can likely
be fought the license fee is way cheaper than the lawyer fee.

> They would send an email to faxnumber at mydomain.com w/ a word or image file
> attached and it would send a fax to my client. The other way around it also
> valid, when they send a fax to my number it would be received in my inbox.

sounds like a fairly simple hylafax job.  There are docs on the web on
exactly how to do this with hylafax.  I suggest google

> Can asterisk handle this with sip numbers?

yes however if you try to do faxing on an uncontrolled network, such as
the internet you will likely have problems.  Faxes dont like jitter or
dropped packets very much, and those things are likely, especially over
time, on  the internet.  Now a private controlled well managed network
might be a different story.

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378
http://www.trxtel.com the VoIP provider that pays you!