[asterisk-biz] Softswitch Required

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Sat Jun 10 11:33:25 MST 2006

In the grand scheme of things, 40 E1s is a tiny switch.  What type of
signaling?  Do you need to support SS7 to the PSTN or will PRI work
for you?  If you can live with PRIs then Asterisk with a couple
Lucent TNT boxes can easily support your call volume.    If you need
SS7 support I would look at Metaswitch, CopperCom, Tekelec (t7000 &
t6000).

I have a Tekelec T7000 with 84 DS-1s that is handling my SS7 and VoIP
media gateway functions.  I also have a Tekelec T6000 as my VoIP
softswitch handling my customer phones.  I use Asterisk for customer
specific functions that the T6000 can't handle (IVR, customized voice
mail)

It is extremely easy to eat up the CDRs from any switch and insert
into your favorite database.  Rating the calls is a bit tougher but
nothing a competent perl hacker couldn't accomplish in a couple days.

A lot of what you have listed below comes from different parts of a
soft switch.  The beauty of VoIP & SIP is that you can mix components
to get your own functionality.

Lucent TNTs make great PRI -> SIP media gateways
Asterisk makes a great Call Agent, Voice Mail, IVR
OpenSER makes a great Session Border Controller

If you need SS7 -> SIP you can always go with Verisign for their
SIP-7 product.

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President