[asterisk-biz] Vonage Alternatives?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Tue Jun 6 17:09:03 MST 2006

On Monday 05 June 2006 17:41, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> They are 16 hops away from me in southern California and I
> consistently get bad sound quality with them with connections through
> SBC DSL or Comcast Cable.  I have had better experience with Voxee
> which is further away and has higher latency.

I dont know if it is significant or not, but my voice quality through
teliax improved considerably when I switched from iax to sip.

I'm guessing that is because they can then do a handoff so that the
audio path goes direct from your asterisk box to teliax's provider's
softswitch.  If you use iax for voice, then the audio path goes to
teliax's iax system which then forwards it to their provider's
softswitch.  Going direct with SIP/rtp seems to mean less jitter,
clicking, etc and is an all-round much better experience to my ear.

Amusingly, I don't seem to have the same problem with iax and sixtel.  I
guess teliax's iax servers are just more heavily loaded.  Or teliax's
iax systems and my asterisk box are out of version sync and are having
a disagreement over jitterbuffer protocol or something silly like that.

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com