[asterisk-biz] Performance on Pentium Dual Core CPUs

Joseph Benden joe at thrallingpenguin.com
Sun Jun 4 11:19:26 MST 2006

Hello,

I have Asterisk running on Solaris 10 on both Sparc and AMD.  The
performance of the system is greater on Solaris compared with Linux, due
to many factors.  The most gains are received when using mtmalloc
library.  Here's a link to a report I've done.  However, do keep in mind
that the numbers mean nothing about _real_ call concurrency amounts, but
rather serve to show the difference in performance of the two operating
systems.  However, the numbers do show that you can do more on Solaris
than Linux.  The actual real world number of concurrent calls is totally
dependent on what the VoIP operator is trying to accomplish (ie: echo
cancel, codecs, transcoding, etc.)  The biggest downside to Solaris is
the lack of a kernel driver for Zaptel hardware.  However; this is
something I'd like to work on.

http://www.thrallingpenguin.com/articles/asterisk-solaris.htm

-Joe
Thralling Penguin LLC