[asterisk-biz] Performance on Pentium Dual Core CPUs

Boris Bakchiev boris at jildent.com.au
Sun Jun 4 10:49:29 MST 2006

Kevin,

Just to prove the point that Asterisk is great I got 2 SQL servers
(couple of 6x cpu xeon servers) to host as sip peers.
Those are much faster then the previous Celerons.

The results kinda puzzled me.
With 300 calls I get:
Cpu0  : 21.9% us, 10.0% sy,  0.0% ni, 60.2% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,
8.0% si
Cpu1  :  0.0% us,  1.0% sy,  0.0% ni, 99.0% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,
0.0% si

Just got a friend in US who works for ITSP there to test the same
scenario with Digium codec on almost identical server (same CPU, mem,
motherboard)
Cpu0  : 16.4% us
Cpu1  :  0.5% us

So it appears that Digium codec is better performing then IPP based one.

Show channels shows:
600 active channels
300 active calls

Sip show channels shows 300 alaw and 300 g729 channels.

Iptraf shows:
Incoming rates:    3510.0 kbits/sec
6200.2 packets/sec
Outgoing rates:    1284.1 kbits/sec
			 1114.4 packets/sec

And I can see a flurry of the traffic on the interfaces.

As I'm writing, SMP rebalanced the load so it is now:
Cpu0  : 10.9% us, 11.9% sy,  0.0% ni, 71.1% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,
6.0% si
Cpu1  :  8.4% us,  4.9% sy,  0.0% ni, 86.7% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,
0.0% si

Are my missing something?
Perhaps the conditions are "near perfect" but the encoder and decoder
still doing they job and on take 10% of the systems capacity.

I think the whole test was affected by the CPU's cache. I think all the
data was cached and since server was doing nothing else but transcoding
all active code and data was cached in CPU's L2.

This makes all kind of benchmarking useless as far as I can see as it is
almost impossible to replicate a working system with test tools.

I welcome the idea of hardware G729 as it would be a more sensible
approach for production systems.

Regards