[asterisk-biz] Performance on Pentium Dual Core CPUs

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Jun 4 09:52:46 MST 2006

----- Sergey Kuznetsov <asterisk_biz at deeptown.org> wrote:

> Can you share your expectations how many G729 transcodings can be done
>
> on dual dual-core Opterons or P4 with 4 Gb of memory on SIP-to-SIP
> environments ( no TDM or echocancelers involved)
> My guess is about 250-300 simultaneous calls.

I don't have any first-hand experience, as we don't do performance benchmarking like that.

In any case, the amount of memory will make no difference at all. The clock speed of the CPUs and the speed of the memory bus will be the determining factors, so realistically I would expect the Opterons to perform better than P4s due to their much more efficient memory subsystem.

However, I can say that I doubt any existing PC-type platform will be able to achieve 250 or 300 simultaneous G.729 transcodes; any single box that could handle that would cost far more than a pair of lower-performance systems to do the same thing (think scaling horizontally, not vertically). In addition, when Digium releases the hardware G.729 transcoder board in the near future this will become less of an issue for deployments of that size.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer