[asterisk-biz] VoicePulse pricing encourages large number of accounts was: VoicePulse engaged in very dubious business practices

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Fri Jun 2 16:06:38 MST 2006

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006, Christopher Snell wrote:

> On 6/2/06, Paul <ast2005 at 9ux.com> wrote:
>
> > By the way, I am looking for consulting work these days. Besides my
> > hardware and software skills, you can now see that I also know how to
> > do some simple math. Anybody looking for a linux geek who also knows
> > how to do things like break-even analysis should contact me offlist.
>
> You're joking, right?  You quoted $60/month per megabit, which is a
> cost-per-volume measurement, not a cost-per-rate measurement.  You're
> going to have to do better than that if you want a job doing cost
> analysis.  :)
No, he's right. 60$/mbit *is* cost per rate, because bandwidth is usually
billed based on 95th percentile. In other words, if you sell 23 concurrent
channels, it is reasonable to expect that at least 5% of time, 20+
channels will be in use, and thus you would be obligated to pay for
roughly 1Mbit of IP transit capacity.

You going to have to do better than that if you want to do mailing list
criticism.