[asterisk-biz] VoicePulse engaged in very dubious business practices

David Pollak dpp-asterisk at projectsinmotion.com
Thu Jun 1 15:43:51 MST 2006

I had pre-paid, thus I did not close my account because it had a
positive balance.  I explicitly turned off all auto-renew features.
That means that I explicitly revoked any rights granted to the provider
to charge my credit card, but they charged my card anyway.

If there was a way to get a refund for pre-paid amounts, I would have
taken that route.  However, if I've pre-paid and made it explicit that a
provider does not have the authority to charge my credit card, then
there's no legal argument that the provider should be able to charge my
card.  If VoicePulse were a post-paid service or if I had used some
loophole in their billing system to rack up huge charges, they would
have a right to recoup the value of the services delivered.

I've probably got more than $1,000 in prepaid services out to VoIP
providers.  That's my cash that they're using.  Sometimes things don't
work out the right way (e.g., VoicePulse's service problems, NuFone's
800 number problems) but that's a risk that I take by prepaying with
small providers and I've got no hard feelings for the few dollars that
have gone to providers who ultimately haven't provided the bargained for
services.

It's a whole different thing to not provide services that I've paid for,
go charge me for additional services that I did not authorize, and then
to argue that they have the right to charge my card.

I'm not looking for sympathy.  I'm looking to warn the non-service
providers to avoid VoicePulse because of their business practices.  I'm
also giving the service providers on this list information about how one
of their competitors treats customers.