[asterisk-biz] Looking for carrier grade redundant solution

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Sun Jul 30 11:55:31 MST 2006

>     From the reading I've done, running SER as a proxy to the two
>     application servers should serve it's purpose well, providing load
>     balancing and monitoring of the application server behind it
>     (should one Asterisk box return a 3XX-5XX I would then route
>     advance to the second application server and take the first offline.
>
>     Question - Is running SER by best bet here? Would I be better off
>     running a heartbeat between the two app servers?

Well, if you're running SER, then you add another layer of complexity.
The more you have, and the more you're likely to run into issues.

If I was you, I would look more into "what can I do in case of server
crash" ?

Maybe the right solution is to have:

a) reliable hardware
b) a known and tested restore procedure which takes no longer than 60
minutes
c) have one or even two "backup, ready to be restored" boxes nearby in
case of problems

Even if you have a couple of hardware crashes in a year, if it takes
less that an hour to do the recovery, it's still > 99.999 % availability...

Sometimes "high availability" is simpler than you think.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.