[asterisk-biz] Is ISP Blocking VoIP

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Tue Jan 31 20:36:00 MST 2006

Sergey Kuznetsov wrote:

> trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 21:54 -0500, Sergey Kuznetsov wrote:
>>

>>> I see the only one way to do it.
>>> To make simple test program which will be started on both endpoints.
>>> Both boxes do the ntpdate right before the tests.
>>> then one box sends and receives the number of rtp packets with
>>> increasing sequence numbers and stores the timestamps in the log
>>> the same is done on the second box, it sends and receives from/to
>>> the first box and stores the sequence numbers and timestamps into
>>> the log.
>>> then they exchanges by the logs, and third perl script compares the
>>> result and shows lost packets and latency for each packet in text or
>>> graphics.
>>>

>> I think there was something for ethereal that does basically this off
>> normal traffic.  Not just RTP but other types which lets you know if its
>> networking to/from a specific box or if its protocol based.
>>

> Bret,
>
> The problem here that IP packets is not have the timestamp option by
> default, as well as RTP packet
> delivers only relative not the absolute timestamp.
>

> my method is quite ugly, but gives more precise results.
>

> All the Best!
> Sergey

You need to setup tests that use about the same amount of bandwidth on
different ports and protocols to make a case. Otherwise, the ISP might
claim that the expensive hardware/software he purchased to thwart DOS
and other attacks is just doing it's job. I know it's bs and just a
smokescreen but best thing to do is have all the data ready before they
make such bogus claims.