[asterisk-biz] Is ISP Blocking VoIP

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jan 31 19:46:15 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 21:24 -0500, Script Head wrote:
> Can anyone name a couple of reasonably priced or freeware tools that
> could help me measure the performance between two VoIP endpoints?

I would recommend going to sf.net and searching there I recall seeing
some but I cant remember their name.  I think there are ethereal plugins
to track jitter and such, although I may be thinking about something
else.

> As far as ISPs introducing jitter to VoIP calls, can't this be solved
> by passing VoIP over a VPN?

if the jitter is only on RTP or other VoIP payload traffic, yes that
should obfuscate it nicely.  Watch the type of vpn you use, on an
unmanaged network like the internet you will want to use a udp transport
layer vs a tcp one.

If however the jitter is for other reasons then a vpn likely will not do
anything to help.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378