[asterisk-biz] I need your skiils, but I can't hire you

Mark Phillips g7ltt at g7ltt.com
Sat Jan 21 13:47:44 MST 2006

I like the phone support idea but I think that Digium is on the right
path. If you don't draw the line somewhere you end up either not fixing
the fault which leads to unhappy customers and therefore a bad mouthing
experience or worst still getting dragged down in a fault that frankly
is not worth fixing for the price.

As for "branded" support; you'll have the same problem. How would the
tech answering the phone know anything about the install he's fixing? It
would take him quite a considerable time to get up to speed before he
could reasonably start working on the fault.

If you agree on a standard set of configs that you'll support and offer
a 2 teired support system, you could fix the easy things like messed up
passwords or mis-spelled statements and then bump the non conforming
ones back to the customer (not the user).

You could then offer "consultant" support exclusively for those that can
demonstrate they are purveyors of Asterisk systems. You shouldn't have
to do so much hand holding here as you'd require a minimum level of
expertise. You'd be acting as more of a mentor rather than a support team.

A final avenue could be training. Offering various levels of Asterisk
training could be a way of ensuring that you have capable customers and
confident end users as well as being a low level money earner.

Mark, G7LTT/KC2ENI
Randolph, NJ
http://www.g7ltt.com